::.. Thursday, August 14, 2003 ..::

Tragedy struck NUS today as a professor was murdered this morning at 945AM at the EA block. Apparently, Professor Lee Kwok Hong was killed by a 14-cm long knife that the technician used when he barged into the meeting room where the prof was. After slashing his throat in front of around 14 staff members, he left the room. The shocked staff members locked the door behind him and perform First Aid on the prof. But how much can you do with a slash on the throat? First you have got to apply pressure to the wound, which, considering the size of the knife, would be enormous. And with the amount of blood lost, the prof would have gone into shock. This would cause the loss of consciousness as less oxygen goes to the brain.

Anyway, I had class this morning at 10AM in the same building but on the lower level. As I was waiting for the lift with Jenny on the ground level, two cops cut our queue (grrrr) and went into the lift. They were followed by Dr Patrick Tan and several nurses. One other staff member warned the policemen "He still has a knife". That was when I knew something serious was happening. Anyway, no time for that. Had to go for class.

After class at 12PM, Oliver and I found out that the lifts were not working. So we walked to the other wing of EA to take the lift down. That was when we saw police officers at the upper level doing some stuff, with police lines cordoning off the area. We went upstairs by stairs, but then people were coming down. So I guess the area was out of bounds. Down at the ground floor, the area around the lift was also taped up with police tape. And there were patrol cars and a big van saying "CID: Forensics Department" in front of EA Block.

The police apparently still don't know the motive for the killing. What did the vice-dean have to do with the technician anyway? I feel pity for the family of the professor who had no idea at all that when they said goodbye to him that morning, it would be their last time doing it. If found guilty, the technician will be sent to the gallows. And that would be the end of him. Or maybe he will plead temporary insanity (if there is such thing in Singapore legal system). Or perhaps, even pull off the Edward Norton trick in Primal Fear. How cool is that? Haha.

___________________________________________

The M1 booth at science bazaar was selling the Nokia 6610 for S$261. Out of curiosity, I asked the salesperson if the price was applicable for upgrades as well. She said yes. I further asked if I could purchase the phone at that price when I am on a supplementary line. She said that they can make arrangements for that. Wow, not bad. After that, Chi Anh and I went to Clementi to have lunch, and I dropped by the M1 shop there to ask the same questions. And I found out that hey, they will only allow me to buy the phone at the RETAIL PRICE, which is about a HUNDRED bucks more expensive than the S$261. DAMN!!!! I was about to buy the 6610 at the science bazaar when Ryan told me that he couldn't make it today, since I need him to buy the phone. And today was the last day for the bazaar. Shucks. I hope there would be another bazaar coming up. Then I can get the phone.

However, this experience points out one weakness in the plan: I am severely limited in many ways because it is a supplementary. For example, I could not apply for autoroaming when I went to Europe because I'm on a supplementary line. And now I find out that I have to buy a new phone at retail price. Seriously considering being independent. And if that happens, I'm switching to Singtel Classic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home