::.. Thursday, April 01, 2004 ..::

Having said all those, I guess there are several other things to be thankful for. For example, the fact that I have a university degree. Although it is STILL by NUS, but it is still a degree. A friend of mine once told me, before entering university, about how he used to help out at an old nursing home. He said that when the old people asked him what he does, and he said he is entering university, they always get impressed. I say "always" because, according to him, they always forget and keep asking him. Haha. But I digress. Point to note is that, although some may view this as inferior or crap, others may view it as a blessing. I guess one way to console myself is to look at the latter view.

Also, the fact that I have a roof over my head is another thing to be thankful for. My trip to Europe really opened up my eyes on this situation. London is really a place of the rich, as well as the homeless. There was one incident in Warsaw, where I saw a small girl sitting at the top of a flight of stairs leading down to the basement mall. It was drizzling but she was begging in the rain. Then, this late 20-ish guy in a suit walked past, and gave her his bread that he just opened. The little kid got it, looking kind of surprised, and scooted off to another flight of stairs. I followed her and saw her give it to her mother who was begging at another flight of stairs with a toddler in her hands. Yups, it is scenes like this that make us feel real thankful.

And let's not forget my parents. Sure, they have put a lot of pressure on me, especially on education. But at the end of the day, I know that it is for my good. For example, despite barely watching any X-Files, having to sneak out my room to watch Friends, getting screwed for watching Air Force One when I should have been studying, it is times like these that really brought me to where I am. My dad also drove me to school every day, making an effort to leave the university to make sure I get to school on time. Mind you, most of my classmates walked to school or took the school bus. So, yeah, it was kind of embarassing to be "chauffuer-driven" in a Volvo to school in front of my friends. But, perhaps the biggest contribution my parents gave me was the fact that I turned out the way I am. I know of many people who have fallen by the wayward. But, I'm sure that all the caning and disciplining bore fruit in the end. I wonder how I will bring up my kids in future. Sometimes, I think what my parents did, so that in future, I might be able to emulate them. I once joked with my mum that in future, she will have to look after my kids. However, she said that she doesn't want another round of raising kids, instead, she will spoil my kids.

I guess once you look at the big picture, you realize that small matters, like whether you get 2:1 or not, or if other people are disappointed or not, doesn't really matter. In fact, long time ago, getting a degree was already a big thing. But, today, grades matter. Er, I think I'm contradicting myself. Never mind. I think I will just take this as a minor blotch in my life that pales in comparison to the other good things in life. Stories for my grandchildren... "hey kids, did I tell you about the time I didn't get 2:1, but instead, joined activities, played CS, TRIED to build up my muscles?" Should make great story telling sessions.

Also, at the end of the day, I always tell myself that, in terms of economics, you can't win everything. Sure, some people can. Either they are lucky, they are gifted, or they have some divine powers that are working behind the scene. Unfortunately, I fall in neither category. So, I have to trade off. And if that means that I have to trade my 2:1 for a 2:2, but instead, have a great circle of friends, a memorable university life and many happy moments, I will gladly do it all over again.

Great way to end off my first day of studying.

Goodnight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home